anniversaries

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, October 11, 2010

A Challenge

Everyone has so much going on in their lives these days. I think about a few words from a song sung by Lady Antebellum "I run my life... Or is it running me?" I can totally relate to that. There is so much that is wrong in our culture in the United States today, and one of the big ones is that we never stop running! Some of us spend months or years at a time going through a non-stop routine that is absolutely exhausting. We go to bed at night, and our minds are still racing so fast that we can't sleep. How many of us have beautiful homes filled with books, movies, games, magazines, and journals that we never really get to enjoy? We have yards that we only work in, but never actually sit outside to enjoy how lovely they actually look. We have so many wonderful people in our lives that we think about often, but never actually take the time to send them a word of encouragement. There have been days when I either wanted to throw my hands up in the air, or just sit down and cry.
I have been so blessed to have many wonderful people to encourage me along the way, but one person made a very big impact in my life with something very small. Bro. Bill Steeger who was our minister starting when I was in high school until after Jon and I got married (He is actually the one who married us, did our pre-marriage counseling, & also career decision counseling for us). I'm sure he is still doing this at his current church in Paragould, Arkansas... Everyday, he prays for someone in the congregation that has been put on his mind, he takes the day sheet off of his desk calendar, writes them a message on the back, & mails it to them. Over the years I was always astounded with how every time he sent me a note from the day sheet it was right when I needed encouragement them most. One time was during the first month I was away from home & feeling very homesick at college. One time I had been sick in the hospital with dehydration and a very bad virus. One time was when my puppy died from distemper. Once was on mine and Jon's wedding day. There were many more times, when I'd go to the mail box, or come home from school, and find a letter waiting on the kitchen counter for me with just a quick word of encouragement. It meant so much to me that I have kept every one of them. Just to know that in the midst of this chaotic world, there was another person out there that was thinking and praying for me, and took the time to write me a personal note put an extra burst of wind in my sails.
As Christians, God calls us to lift each other up in encouragement. So, I'd like to give you a challenge! If someone's name keeps coming up in your mind (you don't have to have seen this person for a year or two) I urge you to stop and pray for everything that you can actually think of that is going on in their life, & for God to help them with any challenges that they might be dealing with. NO, You aren't done YET... Then write them an e-mail, or send them a letter. It doesn't have to be long! I promise you, there is a reason that person has come to your mind, and although you may never know the reason or what circumstance they are in, you will have done something to give them encouragement, and the effect has no limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails