anniversaries

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Christmas Carol



My favorite book of all time is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It was originally published in 1843, but somehow this story has stood the test of time with a message that is as vital today as it was when it was first printed. I remember my dad reading this story to my mom, sister, and me when I was young. Since then I've read it at least 5 more times. I've seen most of the movie versions including animated, real, and puppet. They are all really good, but believe it or not I think my favorite version is the Muppet version with Kermit the frog.

My favorite part of the story is when Bob Cratchit has just returned home from church with tiny Tim, and his wife Martha asks him how Tim behaved.

"As good as gold," said Bob, "and better. Somehow he gets thoughtful, sitting by himself so much, and thinks the strangest things you ever heard. He told me, coming home, that he hoped the people saw him in church, because he was a cripple, and it might be pleasant to them to remember upon Christmas Day, who made lame beggars walk, and blind men see."

I'm sorry folks, it just doesn't get any better than that. No wonder Scrooge was so touched! How can anyone create a better character that so much embodies what we should be mindful of at Christmas and throughout the year!

Our family had a great Christmas, I hope yours did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails