anniversaries

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"We Read to know we are not alone"










That is a quote who's originator is highly debatable. I think it is a most profound line because I love to read. I have both of my parents to thank for instilling that love in me. They would always let my sister and me stay up as late as we wanted when we were reading. I have been known to binge read from dinner 'til dawn the next day, and when I get a hold of a really good one I will read until I my eyes burn and everything starts getting blurry. Before anyone asks, the answere is NO I have not read all the Twilight books, I read the first couple of chapters because I had my Kindle send me a free preview, but I just couldn't really get into them. I guess I'm just not much of a fantasy meets reality sort of book worm. Here's a list of some of the best books I've read this past year:


Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See


The Reader by Bernhard Schlink


Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher


Betrayal of Trust by Laurie Garrett


The Invisible Cure by Helen Epstein


A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George


Payment in Blood by Elizabeth George


Well Schooled In Murder by Elizabeth George


A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George - Yes it is a series there are 14 in all so far, and I heart them! Almost finished with #4


The Choice by Nicholas Sparks


Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay



I also read Peony In Love by Lisa See which was very interesting, disturbing, and thought provoking. I'm not sure if I liked it or not... It caused me to have some really strange dreams, and several times Jon woke me because I was having nightmares. It is a ghost story, but it makes you think about how Chinese Buddhists used to treat women, and how they thought about the after life. I've never read anything quite like it.


There were also about 8 other books I read that I thought were duds, but who wants to talk about that?


So tell me, what have you read? Do you have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I could have written the first part of this post myself. I LOVE to read and always have, I get it from my parents and grandparents. I refuse to read Twilight, it doesn't seem like something I would like and I'm not giving in to the peer pressure. ;)

    I pretty much read stuff everyone else would find boring, I'm completely fascinated by biographies, and I read cookbooks like they're novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy biographies too. Seriously Read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, You will love it! It is all based on what happened to the author's grandmother, and how they used to do footbinding to women in china.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails