anniversaries

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, May 31, 2010

Sweet Surprise of the day



Life is filled with sweet little moments. As Antoine du Saint Exuperie wrote in The Little Prince, "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly." Sometimes you can be in the midst of a rather rotten day, when the phone rings, and suddenly things don't feel so rotten anymore. Today I was sitting on the floor by the fireplace at Jon's parents house, when my mother-in-law Jan says, "Jack I've got a present for you." Well, I'm a little surprised because it isn't anywhere near my birthday, or any other occasion.


As a little background knowledge, Jan's father was a farmer, and somehow she has inherited a black thumb. In the 6 years since Jon and I started dating she has done a superb job of killing just about every plant she's brought home in record time, but that doesn't stop her. It is a bit of a running joke that we don't even know how the hedges around the house manage to fair from year to year. This year she got a really nice tomato plant that already had tomatoes on it, and yep you guessed it, the poor thing didn't stand a chance it's already toast. We'd been talking about how she'd already killed it, and that she should have sent it with us to see if we could revive it, but there is no way that would be possible so I asked, "Are you going to give me a tomato seed from the plant you killed?"


I couldn't believe it when she brought me the prettiest white calla lily with pink along the tip. I carried a bouquet of red roses and white calla lillies in our wedding, which she remembered, and said it made her think of me. So far it is the only flower that has come up successfully for her this summer. How sweet is that? Such a simple thing, but it made me feel special, and I will always remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails