anniversaries

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

October Glory

When the weather gets as stinking hot as it was today I find myself wishing I lived somewhere where it is fall all year. Fall is my favorite season. What's not to love about it The air is fresher, you can put on your jeans, and a light sweater. You can sit on the porch swing in the evenings, and not end up feeling like you've been in a steam bath. All the leaves change color. To make it even more special there is a tree that changes color three times before losing its leaves. October Glory Maple trees are a relatively new breed of trees created by Oklahoma State University forestry department (I guess those cowboys had to be good for something besides Eskimo Joe's & veterinarians) (BOOMER! SOONER!). They are finally getting around to most of the big nurseries here in the South. I got two eight foot trees today at Twitty's for $35 a peice.





They were my grandmother May-May's favorite tree, and I think they may end up being mine too. I love dogwoods, and I used to have the biggest one in town in my backyard until a storm broke and blew it over on top of the screened in porch. (I was the only one at home, and yes it scared me to death when it happened, but once I got over the initial shock I was so upset. I didn't even care that it might have done damage to the roof. I wanted to cry because of my big old tree.)


Even though it is hotter than a chili pepper, and it only looks like it's going to get hotter. At least I can look forward to it eventually getting cooler, and watching my new trees change color this fall. They're going to look something like this.....


Kinda makes you think about turkey & dressing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails