anniversaries

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Peal a Peck of Peas





Well it's usually known as "shelling," but I had to try to think of something that started with a P. Yesterday my Mother-In-Law picked me up a peck of peas and some new potatoes at the farmer's market. When I was little I remember shelling peas with my mom, and my grandmothers. I think it is becoming one of those "lost arts." Most people will buy peas already shelled, but it is a really soothing Southern tradition to sit around with a few friends and shell them yourself. I can remember helping my mom and her mom "Honey" shell peas while sitting under the trees in her front yard.I shelled some in the kitchen last night, and today I finished while sitting on the back porch swing with my feet in the paddling pool. Tonight we are going to be eating dinner at one of our friends house, but I'm thinking Thursday night is going to be a Purple Hull Party in my kitchen. Just how much is a peck of peas? Well it is about 1/4 of a bushel. I posted a picture of my bowl. I'd say it is enough for 4 people to have a bowl full :)
I also found the prettiest magazine in Target the other day, called Flea Market Style. I don't usually splurge on an almost $10 magazine (a book-no problem, not a magazine), but it has some of the best decorating and artistic ideas. I have added their blog button to my page, so click and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails