anniversaries

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Do What You Love

Do what you Love, and Love what you do! I have the greatest job in the world. Seriously! I teach Administrative Procedures up at the college. What is Administrative Procedures? Well it is basically how to do medical insurance billing. It was actually my least favorite part of doing my masters, so when the college asked me to teach it I was kind of hoping they'd find something that I liked a lot more. Ethics, Global Health, Risk Assessment, Qualitative & Quantitative research methods, just not billing. The cool thing about it is, they'd never offered the course so I got to design the whole thing from scratch. The greatest thing about my job is that all of my students have different backgrounds, and they are all taking the course because they are seriously considering medical billing for a profession. Seeing adults come into class who have been out of school for a while, and are frightened that they won't have what it takes really motivates me. Just like when I used to teach swimming lessons I feel so much more accomplished teaching adults than kids. Children are like sponges, and most of them aren't afraid of making mistakes or asking questions. Most adults have had a bad experience some where along the line where someone put them down, or tried to make them feel inferior. Helping them to overcome all of this, and seeing how a little encouragement can change their whole outlook is the biggest blessing to me. Tuesday night was our first meeting this semester, and I tried to study each of my students as they came in. It wasn't too hard they all looked like someone was about to ask them to go rob the E-Z mart. I could tell they were all a little surprised to see a 26 year old teaching the class, and wondering what on earth are they in for. When we finished the class, they all walked out looking like they'd been to the spa relaxed and ready to take on the world. How could a job be any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails